Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Impressive offense, depressing outcomes

In the series with the Indians, the Rangers have scored 30 runs. The problem is, they've given up 35. And they're down in the series 1-2, with one game to go. Against C.C. Sabbathia. I don't care if he is struggling lately. He's still a strong pitcher, and he'll come around. Heck, he may even come around tomorrow.

The only things worth noting about this series are...

- Marlon Byrd's grand slam was beautiful.
- Josh Hamilton just continues to drive in runs. I'm not sure anyone can really stop him.
- Michael Young and Ian Kinsler have 20- and 19-game hitting streaks.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia's offense seems to be picking up.

Of course, all of this feels like it's for naught when you look at the game results. In fact, I'm sure the boys don't care much about how many runs they've driven in or how many hits they got when there's no "Hello Win Column" on the scoreboard after the last pitch.

I actually felt bad for Sidney Ponson having to pitch on three days rest tonight. All in all, I though he held up as well as can be expected in those circumstances. His wingman, Elizardo Ramirez, had a great 5th inning then just seemed to crumble. That was NOT the Lizard I saw with the Redhawks. Not sure what happened to him. But, hey, Kam Loe looked great when he came out. Let's hope he sticks around. I'm sure Angel would like him to stay in Dallas for awhile.

I'm not really in the mood to offer a KISS or MISS tonight. Sorry. It's been an exhausting week (even outside of baseball). My car is giving my trouble. My cat has an ear infection. Work has been stressful. The weather is awful. And there are other things too, but those are far too personal for this blog. Anyway...things have to look up soon, right?

Maybe they already have. Several sources are saying Jason Botts has been acquired by the Nippon Ham Fighters. Sayonara, Bottsie. I will sincerely miss you and continue to keep an eye on your career. May you come back to haunt the Rangers someday. Kind of like David Dellucci has done this series. I know Amy's smiling from heaven. Not that DD helped beat her beloved Rangers, but that he's done pretty well this season.

So, now Bottsie has to move out of my top five. *sniff* That means everyone else moves up and the #5 option opens up. Not for too long. I already had a candidate waiting in the wings. Who else? Josh Hamilton. So that brings my list to --

1. Kameron Loe
2. Ian Kinsler
3. C.J. Wilson
4. David Murphy
5. Josh Hamilton

Kind of an odd assortment, huh??

Well, time to get to bed. Maybe if I sleep soundly enough I can pretend tonight's game never happened.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I thought I left a comment here last night. I was curious about your statement in the game thread at Lone Star Ball that you had met Sidney Ponson after a game and talked to him. Sidney is my favorite player and I was curious what he had to say to you.

Micah said...

Mary - I actually met Sidney during a game. Although I don't know if you call it meeting. I was at the game on a press pass and was hanging out in the photo wells taking some shots. He just chatted with me throughout the game, trying to get me to have dinner that night with him and/or another player. I'm not sure if he was sincere in his request, and I suppose I'll never know because I said "no." I was just caught off-guard by the attention (I've never been the kind of girl to get any attention, really), so I was flustered. And I think he enjoyed that. Ha ha. He was very friendly and charismatic, and I think he just genuinely likes talking to people.