Sunday, June 22, 2008

Leaving the Capitol with a series win

Friday night's game was not just long, it was disappointing. I don't mind sitting through a 14-inning game if it results in a win. But that didn't happen. The Rangers dropped the game 4-3 to the pitiful Washington Nationals. That must have fired them up for Saturday's game because they broke it open with a 13-3 pounding. They eeked out a second win of the weekend (and the series win) today by a score of 5-3 (threes were wild, apparently).

When C.J. came out there in the 9th today, there was a different air about him than there has been the last few times out. It's no secret he's been struggling. Even he admitted it. But in struggle, there can be growth. C.J., hopefully, has gone that route, and he certainly looked it today. He came out throwing strikes and needed just 13 pitches to retire the Nationals in the bottom of the 9th. That's what a closer's line should look like.

My heart broke when Gerald Laird came up injured. He's been having a great season, and to see him faceplant into the field after legging out a bunt hit to first. Apparently, he really strained his right hamstring and will be out for about a month. Poor Gerry.

On the flipside, it was fun to see the debut of Max Ramirez, even if he's still looking for that first hit. That's alright. Houston is waiting.

I wish I had more thoughts, but my head is so congested they're getting lost. Stupid allergies. Probably from all the water (and subsequent mold).

I have my sights set on taking in a pair of Rangers games in Minneapolis in July. That's the weekend of my birthday, so I think I deserve to treat myself. Now, I just need to find the money for tickets, fuel and food. *crosses fingers*

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

I feel bad for Gerald Laird - that wasn't the way I wanted to see Jarrod Saltalamcchia get his everyday playing time. With the season Gerry was having, I bet we could have gotten something good for him at the trade deadline.

Hope you're well with all the floods and everything, Micah.