Sunday, June 29, 2008

Slacker returns

I'm referring to myself in that headline ... not one of my beloved Rangers. :) I'm not sure who could be referred to as a slacker on that roster anyhow. Sure, a few of them have had slumps and bad games, but as far as I can tell, none of them are slackers. Even when they go 0 for 5 or allow 3 HRs, they're still giving all they've got that day. Some days, it just doesn't work as well as others. I have days like that, so they're allowed them as well.

The team is still hovering around that .500 mark, but the past few weeks have not been without their share of excitement. I'm speaking, of course, of the infusion of young blood. Eric Hurley, Max Ramirez and Chris Davis have all made their major league debuts ... and have lived up to the hype that preceded them. Ramirez had his first hit and home run on the same night -- his first night starting at catcher. Davis has hit a home run in each of his two starts. Hurley earned his first win today against a tough Phillies offense, and has a respectable 4.24 ERA over three starts. The future has arrived in Arlington, and it's been very fun to watch.

It was nice to get a series win against the Phillies. They might be slumping now, but they are a pretty formidable team. They've been in the playoffs the last two seasons and will likely be in the picture again this fall. Josh and Tom were comparing Ian to Chase Utley on Saturday night, and that's quite a compliment. Though I'm not sure to who. I guess both. I have great respect for Chase, and Kinsler is quietly gaining some respect of his own. I missed Friday night's game because I was out with friends, but I did witness Saturday night's unfortunate outcome and today's clincher. I had even more interest in this series than most because I had a bet with a co-worker (and big time Phillies fan). He now owes me lunch one day this week. YAY!

My boys now head to the House of Pain in New York for a three-game set with the Yankees. This will be the Rangers' first series with the Bronx Bombers for 2008, and, even though the Yankees aren't posting a formidable record this year, I'm still a little nervous about it. I'm looking forward to Wednesday night's match up between Mendoza and Ponson, however. Ponson made a not-so-graceful exit from Arlington just a few weeks ago, so it'll be interesting to see how the first reunion goes. I'm hoping my boys just completely light him up.

Because of my long absence, I will refrain from giving a KISS or MISS with this entry, but I promise to return to regular blogging soon.

No comments: