Sunday, June 1, 2008

Things I learned in Clinton

- The fans here love the Lumberkings.

- If baseball doesn't work out, Blake Beavan could join the circus as a juggler. He has some skills.

- Speaking of Beavan, he may be cocky, but he's also quite personable. He stopped to chat with several fans and never said "no" to an autograph request.

- Engel Beltre's first name is pronounced "En-yel" not "Ing-gul."

- Beloit probably has the Midwest League's tallest and shortest players on their roster. Infielder Chris Cates is 5'3" (but an above average four-tool player...at least I only saw four tools tonight) and pitcher Loek Van Mil is 7'1".

- Don't leave early...you'll miss the good stuff.

After a 32-minute rain delay, I departed Alliant Energy Field as the Lumberkings were trailing 6-5 in the middle of the 8th. If I didn't have friends waiting for me to arrive in Dubuque (an hour-plus drive) to stay at their house, I probably would have stayed. But as it was it was nearing 10 p.m. But I listened to the rest of the game, and since it took another hour, I'm glad I didn't stay for it.

Apparently, after I left, I missed two fireworks shows. One during the game and one after. I'm not sure exactly what went down, but eight players (four from each team) were ejected after a benches-clearing brawl behind homeplate. It took umpires and coaches another 25 minutes (this was after the long rain delay) to sort out who was playing and what was going on. As far as I can figure out, there was some kind of interference and then some players just got into it. I'm anxious to find out what really happened. And I'm actually kind of sorry I missed it. I don't know that I've ever seen a baseball brawl in person.

I did, however, get to see some great baseball although the first few innings didn't look promising. Derek Holland, who was 5-0 coming into tonight's game, crumbled in the top of the 2nd inning. He walked the first batter and the next batter reached on a bunt. The defense managed a force out after that, but then Holland walked the next batter to load the bases. Three consecutive doubles later, the score was 5-0 in favor of the visiting Beloit Snappers. Finally, Holland got the third out, but the interim was painful.

It looked like Holland might earn his first loss of the season, but the tides began to change, and the game shifted in the bottom of the 5th. With one out, Matt Lawson reached on a bunt single. Miguel Alfonzo then struck out, and it appeared the Lumberkings would strand their third baserunner of the night. Engel Beltre kept the inning going with a soft fly single and Renny Osuna walked to load the bases. Mitch Moreland stepped up and delivered in a big way. With one swing, he cleared the bases and brought the Lumberkings to within a run.

Much like their big brothers on the Rangers have done several times this year, the Lumberkings didn't let a five-run defecit discourage them. They rallied and brawled their way to an 8-6 win.

Engel Beltre, before getting ejected in that 8th inning brawl, had a great night. The centerfielder was 4 for 5 and had more than one spectacular catch. Miguel Alfonzo played some nice defense too, including an outfield assist to nail Beloit's Joe Benson at the plate.

KISS: It's gotta be Moreland. The man was 2 for 5 and drove in four runs. He also played some great right field.

MISS: Probably Holland. He just didn't seem to have it out there. In three innings, he surrendered five runs on five hits and three walks. He also struck out a pair, but it wasn't a pretty outing.

I'll have pictures tomorrow (I took about 50) and some video of Beavan's mad juggling skills.

I was thrilled to see the Rangers won tonight. By all accounts, Ponson left his struggles in Tampa and came out strong. The team is now above .500 again, and I'm really hoping for the sweep tomorrow. I won't get to see the game, however, because MLB EI isn't airing it. What's up with that?!

3 comments:

Jon Page said...

Sounds like you had a good time, Micah - can't wait for the pics and the Beavan video.

The Rangers win last night to pull above .500 was pretty nice - Sidney Ponson continues to confound, but at least this time he confounded in a good way. Ian Kinsler and Michael Young both had 3 hit nights - apparently, the Rangers set a record with their 19th win in May last night. Pretty sweet.

Now we just need Feldman to keep us above .500 today with a sweep.

Anonymous said...

first of all... Mitch's grand slam was perfect!

and second.. you shouldn't be so hard on Holland. There were 5 pitching changes throughout the entire game, each pitcher was on a pitch count and only threw 2 innings each, which you never mentioned. He's the Lumberkings' ace pitcher and #1 starter. he's human, and every game can't be picture perfect!

Micah said...

Jon - It was a great time. I love watching the minor leaguers and the Clinton stadium is one of the nicest. Great facility and great crowd.

Anonymous - I agree about Mitch's grand slam. It was simply beautiful. And it really got the crowd back into the game. Also, about Holland. You should know that I don't like to be hard on anyone. But for each game, I must pick a performance that I deemed most disappointing. I know Holland has had a great season...and he will have better outings. This was just the one I happened to catch.