Friday, May 30, 2008

And, we're back...

...at .500 again.

Can we stay there? Or better yet, rise above it? I guess we'll see. I liked Scott Lucas' line in his minor league report the other day -- "Speed III: Keanu Reeves stars as the manager of a team that will explode if it surpasses a .500 record." That was a humorous and accurate summation of my thoughts about this team. What is it about .500 that the Rangers just can't handle? Whatever it is, I hope they lost it somewhere between Tampa and Texas ... just as Hamilton seemed to shake off his little slump. If you can call it that. Heck ... as well as he's playing this season, I'll take a 2 for 12 streak from him. He's more than earned it.

Tonight's game was not just a win. It was a well-played win. Millwood, just off the DL, was masterful. Benoit, Guardado and Wilson only continued the great pitching. They held FIVE of the As batters HITLESS -- Buck, Cust, Brown, Barton and Suzuki. In fact, they handed Cust a golden sombrero with four strike outs. Wow. Just wow.

The Rangers offense was also facing a good pitcher in Justin Duchscherer (yeah, I had to copy/paste that) and managed six hits and two runs. Brandon Boggs drove in all three of the Rangers' runs tonight, which is amazing considering he was only added to the lineup 40 minutes before the first pitch. Way to take advantage, Sparky!

KISS: As good as Boggs was, I gotta go with Millwood tonight. I think this was just about the best we've seen him throw all season. He threw 86 pitches in six innings, 57 of which were strikes. He allowed just one run on five hits and struck out five. He didn't walk anyone. He did exactly what an ace of the squad should do. This is the Millwood the Rangers have been looking for.

MISS: It's hard to find anything negative about this game, but I guess I'll go with Chris Shelton, who was 0 for 4 with two Ks.

KAM WATCH -- Kam started the second game of a doubleheader in Omaha tonight. He went three innings and gave up two runs on two hits and one walk. He also had three strike outs. The Redhawks ended up winning 3-2, and Steve Rowe (the guy all the I-Cubs fans think is a coach) got the win. In the same game, Jason Botts was 2 for 2 with a walk, which gave Jason a 3 for 5 day with two RBI. Not too bad. The Redhawks ended up sweeping the doubleheader. You have to see Dustin Nippert's line to believe it.

HEADS UP -- There will be no Saturday entry from me. In fact, I won't even get to see the Rangers/As game tomorrow night. Instead, I'm heading to Clinton to watch the "baby Rangers" (aka the Lumberkings). Holland is on the mound and I'm really excited to see all the young talent down there that I've been reading about. I'll be back sometime Sunday with thoughts and pictures from Clinton.

3 comments:

Jon Page said...

I hadn't seen that line from Scott Lucas re: .500 - that's greatness.

Kevin Millwood's outing tonight was a nice tonic for me - I was getting kind of discuraged about the rotation after the way Ponson, Padilla and Gabbard performed in Tampa Bay. We needed a good start, and the K-Mill churned one out.

Can't wait to hear your review of the Lumberkings game - I've been meaning to get out to Bakersfield this year to see the Blaze myself, but I didn't go early in the season, and now gas prices are insane.

Micah said...

Oh...please go watch the Blaze. For me. And take pictures of Truan Mehl. He was my favorite Lumberking two years ago. Half of it is that I think he's adorable. And the other half is that I just like how he plays. I like how he's progressing too. Quietly.

Jon Page said...

Blaze... Truan Mehl... got it. Heh.

I'll see what I can do. I really wanna go, but if I do, I'm gonna have to find somebody that wants to go with me so we can split the gas money or something. But if I get the chance, believe me, I'm gonna get out and see the Blaze this summer. The guy I want to take a look at is Kasey Kiker, if possible.