Monday, May 26, 2008

Davis doesn't disappoint

The Iowa Cubs wasted no time getting on the board, putting up four quick runs in the bottom of the 1st. They tacked on another in the 2nd and another in the 4th. That was the end of their offense, but the Redhawks were already in too deep a hole to climb out.

Redhawks starter Luis Mendoza gave up five of the six earned runs on six hits in just two innings. He didn't walk anyone, but he didn't have any strikeouts either. Elizardo Ramirez was the day's scheduled starter, but he was pushed into relief. My, how the game might have been different if he'd gotten the nod instead. Ramirez went six innings, allowing just one hit on six hits and one walk. He also fanned two. The numbers really say it all -- Ramirez had better stuff.

The damage could have been much worse if not for Chris Davis at 1B. He notched five outs on his own -- spearing a line drive and then doubling off a runner who had headed for second and making a few other spectacular stops. This was my first look at the much-touted prospect, and he lived up to his reputation.

Davis, promoted from AA on Saturday, was 2 for 4 with one RBI (which was the Redhawks' first run of the day). Nelson Cruz was also 2 for 4 with a double and a triple. Nate Gold was just 1 for 4, but he made his one hit count -- a two-run homer to bring the Redhawks within two in the 3rd. I also have to give a nod to Ryan Roberts. He made decent contact all day, but the first three found a glove. He didn't give up and was rewarded when his 9th inning knock found a hole.

I-Cubs fans will probably complain about the umpiring crew, but their team managed to live out my mantra -- a good team will find a way to beat bad officiating. I have to agree some of the calls were iffy and could have gone either way. The one they groaned about the loudest was actually ruled correctly (at least on the second ruling). Jason Ellison made a sliding catch in the 5th to rob Josh Kroeger of a hit. Ellison gloved it just before it hit the ground and the first base official originally called it a hit. Ellison made some noise and his manager came out to back him up. The umpires conferred and called it a catch and an out. Cubs fans grumbled about that for a few more innings, but they got to leave with the win, so I doubt they will talk about it for much longer.

KISS: I think this is a tie between Elizardo Ramirez and Chris Davis. Ramirez pitched quickly and efficiently, and he held the Iowa Cubs in check trying to give his team a chance. And Davis. I've already told you what he did today. I was so impressed by his defense, he could have not batted and still gotten the honor.

MISS: Poor Jason Ellison. He just couldn't get the ball to leave the infield and was 0 for 5 on the day with one K.

I'll be uploading some pictures later. I didn't get to take very many today because I was an idiot and forgot to charge my camera battery. I also failed to get the camera out in time to capture what might have been the photo of the day -- Eric Hurley in one of the Be-Bops outfits (three little kids wear them and race from first to third during an inning break). Before the game, Hurley put on one of the costumes and did a lap from one end of the dugout to the other. I got a good laugh out of it.

I have to admit I was a bit sad leaving the stadium because this was OKC's last trip to Des Moines this season. Maybe I'll have to see if they'll be in Omaha at a time I can make the trip. I would really like to watch them again.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

Wow, too bad Luis Mendoza got shelled. The Rangers said he'd need 3-4 rehab starts before he would be back to full strength, though.

Which is fine with me - the way Scott Feldman has pitched, I'm not really in any hurry for Mendoza to get back.

Good to hear good things about Chris Davis' defense - you don't hear too much about his D, but apparently he's a much better 1B than he was a 3B. Can't wait until he's ready to be called up.