Friday, May 23, 2008

Pirate battles but takes a tough loss

A.J. "The Pirate" Murray held the Iowa Cubs hitless for three innings and scoreless for seven innings. He struck out seven (at least two of which were looking), gave up six hits and only walked one. Still, he lost the game 1-0, pitching all eight innings that he was needed.

The Redhawks offense was simply anemic tonight. It was a chilly evening in the 50s, and the bats just couldn't get warm (neither could I). Nelson Cruz, John Mayberry Jr. and Ryan Roberts had the only three hits for Oklahoma, and only Roberts' was for extra bases. The Redhawks also drew three walks, but they just couldn't get a man beyond second base.

I heard fans around me hoping for just one run -- from either team -- for most of the game. It was so cold that they just didn't want to sit out there long. Even though it was a short game (just over two hours), the chill made it seem endless. Finally, the Iowa Cubs broke the scoreless tie in the 8th with a leadoff double from 2B Eric Patterson. He stole third and came on home on a Matt Murton single. Patterson also flashed a little leather throughout the game, making two spectacular catches to rob Mayberry and Arias.

KISS: Even though he took the loss, I gotta go with Murray. He battled out there and seemed to be cooking for seven innings. That eighth one was the only time he got in trouble. He threw 107 pitches, 73 of which were strikes.

MISS: Nelson Cruz misread Cubs pitcher Keisler and got caught in a rundown between 1st and 2nd with two outs in the first inning.

I took some photos tonight, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow night to load them. I'm not sure I'll get a Redhawks game tomorrow night...the weather is calling for thunderstorms. Fabulous. But Monday should be alright and I'll be in the photo wells to watch Elizardo Ramirez on the mound.

I'm watching the Rangers-Indians game now, so I'll be posting my thoughts on that later too. Double-header from me. Woo!! :)

No comments: