Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Almost boring...almost :)

I hate to call a Rangers win boring. Because I don't want the gods of baseball to take that the wrong way and take Rangers wins away from me again. So, this game wasn't boring, but it was certainly a lot more relaxed than recent other wins.

My pal Sidney Ponson continues to show good stuff out there on the mound. Of course, being spotted a 10-run lead in the third might help a pitcher relax. Overall, though, Ponson, who now boasts a record of 2-0 and an ERA of 1.33, really was good on his own. He threw 103 pitches in seven innings, giving up one run on seven hits and one walk. He only struck out two, but he seemed to be able to get the Mariners to hit right at the defenders behind him. Especially David Murphy, who had a spectacular diving catch early and ran down a few others I wasn't sure he would get to. What was I thinking? This is David Murphy, not Milton Bradley.

The Rangers were actually outhit, knocking all six hits in the first three innings. They chased Batista --- I'd be scared after that MONSTER home run from Josh Hamilton too (no way was that only 425 feet). The boys in blue were subsequently stymied by Baek (who worked similar magic on them last year), Rowland-Smith and Lowe. But the damage had already been done, and the Rangers emerged victorious.

My boys are now 14-20 and tied with the Mariners for the bottom of the AL West. Keep on climbing, boys. You're not out yet.

KISS: A bit ironically (if only in my mind), it's Ponson. For a guy who hadn't won a game in a year prior to May 1, he has been outstanding in a Rangers uniform. I wasn't thrilled about him signing, but he can stay in that uniform as long as he keeps up what he's doing.

MISS: It was tough to find a downer in this game, but I guess I'll go with Milton Bradley. He earned one walk, but was 0-4, and it's always disappointing to me when the designated hitter doesn't get a hit.

I wish I had more thoughts and more time. But these west coast games are killing me. Especially when Wednesdays are my early days in the office.

No comments: