Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sweep spoiled

Usually, the Rangers and As like putting on a hit show. Today, they were all about the pitching in the 3-1 Rangers loss. Each team had a fantastic performance from their starting pitcher as they wore those throwback uniforms (although it was very weird seeing my boys in red/grey threads with a Washington W on the hat).

Rangers hitters were held to just four knocks, one of which was German Duran's first major league home run. It's always exciting to see firsts. Especially in a season that, so far, has had very little else to celebrate. I think (and hope) that'll change, but for now, I'll take every little pleasure this team has to offer. Right now, that's a lot of individual firsts and honors, and that's fine with me.

Other than Duran's homer, the Rangers had just one other extra base hit -- a double from Brandon Boggs in the top of the 9th. It's too bad Gerald Laird couldn't keep the inning alive and bring Boggs around, but I guess that's just the way it is.

KISS: Scott Feldman. I have to admit, I was skeptical but hopeful about converting Scott from a reliever to a starter. I like Feldman and think he's a good guy, but he certainly had his share of struggles as a reliever. As a starter, I feel like we're looking at a different player. He had good stuff today as he shut down the As for six innings and gave his team a shot to win. They only gave him one run to work with, as they attempted to figure out a very good pitcher in Greg Smith, but Feldman took that one run and stayed with it. Things unfolded for him in the 7th, but I'm not holding that against him. In 6.1 innings, Feldman was charged with three runs on six hits (including a two-run homer) and one walk. He also struck out five.

MISS: Hitters three, four and five in today's lineup. Hamilton, Bradley and Murphy had 10 of the Rangers' 12 strikeouts. It could be that they're all left-handed hitters and faced some TOUGH Oakland pitching, but it was still a major downer from what has been a pretty reliable chunk of the offense this season.

Now, it's onto Seattle for four. As I've said before, this is a great time to make up ground. And, I'll be honest, I'm anxious to see Iowa boy Jeff Clement with the Mariners.

P.S. I have a huge favor to ask. I really want one of those C.J. Wilson bobbleheads they'll be giving out on May 16. I'm willing to pay for a game ticket and shipping for anyone who will help me out. If that person wants anything from Iowa, we could also probably work that out. Just contact me -- laney895@hotmail.com. Please, thanks, hugs and kisses in advance.

1 comment:

Spiff said...

The problem was the red uniforms. They should have stuck with the blue. ;-)