Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gotta love a walk-off

I saw two nice wins tonight, but -- no disregard to the Perry High School Bluejays -- the Rangers win was definitely the highlight of the night.

When I arrived home from the Bluejays' game, I did my best not to check in with Lonestar Ball (my FAVORITE group of people to watch a game "with") or go to any sports news sites. I moved swiftly through my recording of the game and caught up in the 7th inning.

What a nail-biter of a game, but I was thoroughly pleased with our pitcher-by-committee. Madrigal, Rupe, Francisco and Wright did exactly what was needed tonight. In fact, the Rangers were tied 2-2 when Francisco entered the game. And promptly surrendered that two-run homer to the Angels 4th outfielder, Juan Rivera. If not for Marlon Byrd, the gap might have been much bigger. He robbed the Angels of extra bases more than once. And Jamey Wright reached out and stabbed a liner in the top of the 8th.

As we headed into the 8th, I really wasn't sure we could make a comeback. I mean, I always hope we can, but it was not looking promising. Scot Shields had us completely flumoxed the other night and K-Rod, well, he's K-Rod. Shields continued his mastery tonight, but we got to K-Rod pretty fast. Ramon Vazquez earned a lead-off walk. Ian Kinsler struck out (rare occurence until tonight). Frank Catalanotto grounded out to first. Our hopes rested on Michael Young, and he kept the hopes alive by driving in Vazquez on a single. Then, he stole second while Josh Hamilton was at the plate. I was just hoping for an extra base hit, something Hammy hadn't had in...well, a long time.

Boy, did he makeup for lost time. A two-run, walk-off homer to right field to give the Rangers the win and a lead in the series!!!! I was absolutely out of my mind, screaming and whooping and jumping up and down. I'm shocked the Perry Police didn't arrive to cite me for disturbing the public.

KISS: Oh, it's sooo tempting to give it to Hamilton, but I really think I have to go with Michael Young tonight. He was 3 for 5 with a walk, and if not for his single in the 9th, Hamilton would not have had the chance to hit the homer. Young takes a lot of heat for not being a real flashy or emotional player, but, you know what, I'm still glad to have him on my team.

MISS: Frankie Francisco. He failed to strikeout anyone in his one inning of work. He allowed the two go-ahead runs and made my blood pressure rise uncomfortably.

But who really cares about the MISS, when the game ends like this...







Before the Rangers win, my presence was requested at Progressive Field here in Perry tonight for the baseball team's senior night. Other media folks have been giving me a hard time for claiming to be a big diamond fan and not attending a game. I've just been preoccupied with two jobs and Rangers basebally, I guess. So, I made an effort to go tonight and I was rewarded with a 7-4 Bluejay win. Starting pitcher Charlie Beeler worked a fantastic curve ball, pitching three scoreless innings. Meanwhile, the Bluejays offense scored o run in the 1st, five in the second and another one in the third. After three, Beeler moved to shortstop and the third baseman Travis Anderson came in to pitch. Anderson got rocked a little, but held onto the lead. With post-season play just 48 hours away, Coach Mike Long had to be careful with his pitching staff, and starting left fielder Tyler Cooklin came in to close out the game. Speaking of outfielders, Sam Stetzel and Drew Rinner had a pair of FANTASTIC grabs. If they were in the majors, they definitely would have been web gems. Despite giving up two home runs, the Bluejays defeated the Winterset Huskies 7-4 in their home closer.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

That was one awesome game, wasn't it? I'm going to remember that one for a long, long time.

Unfortunately, we lost the last game of the Angels series last night, but I'm really proud of how our boys played over the entire 4 games. Even though the starting pitching let 'em down a couple times, they never stopped battling, and you gotta love that. The Rangers are by no means the whipping post of the Angels anymore.