Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Looking back and looking ahead

First, looking back....

Justin Morneau may have won the Home Run Derby, but the only hitter anyone is talking about is Josh Hamilton.

JD Drew won the All-Star Game MVP Award, but it was Michael Young who mercifully ended the game with a sac fly in the bottom of the 15th inning.

Simply put, the Rangers ruled the All-Star festivities. And I don't know when I've ever been so proud to be a Rangers fan as I have been the past few days. Okay, so I'm always proud to be a Rangers fan, but there's been an extra glow this week.

The funny thing is that everyone who knows me associates me with the team. This has it's ups and downs, of course. When the Rangers get blown out, no-hit (Buehrle) or simply stymied (Santana and Bedard last summer), I get looks and words of sympathy. And a few jabs. Likewise, when Josh Hamilton hits 28 homers in the span of about 30 minutes or the team drives in 30 runs in one game, people look for me to be on cloud nine (not beyond the realm of possibilities). I'm not sure where I was going for this, but I just thought it was interesting. I've had more phone calls and e-mails about my boys in the last few days than I've gotten since last August. Like I said, it's a lot of fun to be a Rangers fan right now.

Now, looking ahead...

I have a pretty great weekend ahead. Tomorrow night, I'm going to a Matt Nathanson concert on the river (granted it doesn't rain out). Then, Friday night, I'm headed to Minneapolis for a weekend with two of my former college roommates.

The Rangers gave me a nice gift this year by arranging to be in Minneapolis (4 hours away) on my birthday. That's right. I will be taking in my first Rangers game of 2008 this weekend, and probably the only two I'll get to this season. I have a PRIMO seat for the Sunday game. Afterall, that is the anniversary of my birth, so I decided to treat myself. I haven't yet bought a ticket for Saturday night, but I'm sure I'll be in the cheap seats since I think my friends (not really big into sports) will be accompanying me. I'm hoping to arrive at the Metrodome early both days to maximize my Rangers experience.

My birthday weekend will end with a Neil Diamond concert. Ha ha. Yeah, I'm serious. The ticket was free, so why not? :)

2 comments:

Jon Page said...

I know what you mean about people asocciating you with the team - the same thing happens to me out here with my friends (well, the few that really know me well enough to care about my favorite baseball club anyway).

A couple of my friends (who are Angel fans) took to calling me "lonestar" a couple years ago when I got my favorite Rangers hat (the old batting practice model with the lone star flag accross the "T") and it stuck pretty good for awhile. It had kinda died out over this past winter when I wore the hat a little less, but since the Josh Hamilton walkoff against the Angels, they've reprised it again - heh.

I'm excited (and a little jealous of course) that you're going to get prime seats to see the boys up in Minneapolis - hopefully they'll play well for you on your birthday.

EMC said...

Have a great birthday! And don't dis Neil Diamond - he puts on a very good concert - you'll be surprised to find how many songs you'll find yourself singing slong to.