Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Kinsler loves Yankee Stadium

I'm so amped up right now. I'm not sure I can put two sentences together. But I'm sure gonna try. These boys DESERVE it.

Ian Kinsler has shown all season why he should be in the All-Star Game. But in this series, he's stepped up another notch. Clearly, Ian LOVES playing in Yankee Stadium. And so he should be playing there on July 15. And not just playing. STARTING. I've cast 500 votes for him on my own. And I'm not sure I'm done yet :) Especially not after tonight. More on that later. You know where it's going.

These close games have increased my blood pressure substantially. The ups and downs are almost too much. But they sure make the wins that much more gratifying.

I absolutely love that my boys have marched into Yankee Stadium and won a series from the much-feared and overpaid New York Yankees. If I'm this thrilled, how must the players feel? I'm not sure I'd blame them for breaking out a little champagne (or sparking grape juice in the case of Josh Hamilton and C.J. Wilson). Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. But can any Rangers fan really say they aren't celebrating this series?

Just like Monday night, it was a pitcher's duel out there. While National League play seemed to muffle our offense, it turned our pitching up a notch. Millwood kicked it off and had a great game cooking out there. He went five innings and struck out six. He allowed just one run on five hits and four walks. He also took a shot off his upper shin, and apparently that was what chased him from the game and brought Rupe in for the 6th and 7th innings. He got knocked around a little and the Yankees were able to tie the score at 2, but then Rupe calmed down and got it done. Frankie Francisco was, once again, awesome. He was throwing strikes -- and hard ones -- out there. After 12 pitches, he had his team headed back to the dugout with a still tied game. C.J. Wilson made us sweat it a little bit in the bottom of the 9th. Spotted a one-run lead, he walked the first batter on four pitches, but then managed a double play, a groundout and a fist pump to end the game.

KISS: Ian Michael Kinsler. He was 2 for 3 with two walks and two stolen bases. He dialed his BA back up to .324. Without his smart base running, the Rangers would not have gotten that run for the lead in the 9th. He is the best leadoff hitter in baseball right now. I dare someone to prove me wrong.

MISS: David Murphy and Josh Hamilton each went 0 for 4 with a walk. And at this point, I'm not sure who's going to bust out of his slump first. Pitchers seem to have figured Hamilton out, and he just needs to make some adjustments. I haven't figured out what Murphy needs to do. Hopefully both of them can get back on it again soon.

I would love to see a sweep tomorrow, but it's not gonna be easy. Mendoza vs. Ponson. Whew. Either way, I'll be here :)

2 comments:

Snakes Eye View said...

Hey Micah...
About time we loved playing Ynakee stadium!!

As for Feldman.. don't let Erin fool you. She may be the quiet one, but she is to be watched! I merely cause the distraction!

Come see us soon!! Vikki

Micah said...

Ooooh, I so want to come see you all soon!!! I just don't have the vacation time or money right now. :-( Hopefully that'll change...