Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two out of three ain't bad

The Rangers seem to be singing this tune a lot this season.

It's funny, really. I had hoped we'd go into Yankee Stadium and take one. But once we took two, I got greedy. And just like a player who just hit a double but tries to stretch it into a triple, I got burned. I feel so sick right now, and, you know, I feel guilty feeling that way. Maybe I wouldn't if tonight's loss hadn't been so ugly. That 7th inning was just pitiful. I felt so bad for Warner Madrigal. I was anxious to see him pitch, but I'm not sure bringing him into a one-run game to face the heart of the Yankee order was the appropriate debut for him.

*sigh*

I need to just be happy that the Rangers won the series and move on. In light of that, let's just skip straight to the awards for the night...

KISS: Chris Davis. He has hit in every game he's gotten into so far since being called up last week. I bet he'll be talking about tonight's homer -- to centerfield in Yankee Stadium -- for years to come. It was a beauty. And he showed off that glove I saw in Des Moines a little over a month ago too.

MISS: Ron Washington. I know the bullpen was maxed out, but I think he should have put Wright in for the 7th inning. Instead, he let Madrigal get "baptized by inferno" (Josh Lewin's words...so appropriate). I just hope Madrigal can shake this off and get back up on the bump. He has better stuff than what we saw tonight.

No comments: