Monday, July 7, 2008

Rollercoaster

This game started with an epic low. Luis Mendoza (who previously looked pretty good in relief outings) surrendered eight runs to the Angels in just 1.1 innings. It was ugly, and I thought I might throw up.

Then, something strange happened. Dustin Nippert came in and pretty much shut down the Angels offense for the next seven innings. The lone run he gave up came on Torii Hunter's second HR of the evening.

Meanwhile, the home team cranked out a few runs of their own. Trailing 8-1 after 4.5 innings, they pounded out a five-run bottom of the 5th, courtesy of a three-run homer by David Murphy and a two-run bomb by Chris Davis. Good to see Murph getting his swing and timing back. He was 0 for 18 going into Sunday's game in Baltimore. He finished that day 2 for 4, and while he was just 1 for 5 tonight, he was robbed of two hits by Casey Kotchman.

But that was all they could muster. Despite having two on and no out in the 6th and then two on and two out in the 9th, they just couldn't bring any more home.

KISS: Dustin Nippert was absolutely spectacular tonight. I gave him a standing ovation in my own living room. He came into a nightmare of a game and brought the Rangers back to striking distance. He went 7 innings with 103 pitches. He walked one and gave up four hits while striking out four as well.

MISS: It'd be too easy to give it to Mendoza tonight. Michael Young was almost as disappointing. He was 1 for 5 with two Ks and four LOB. *sigh*

I apologize for not blogging after the finale in Baltimore. I was just so irked after the All-Star selections were announced that I couldn't bring myself to write anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm THRILLED that Josh Hamilton, Milton Bradley, Ian Kinsler and Michael Young will be representing the Rangers. I'm just mad that Kinsler will not be starting at 2B. Stupid Red Sox Nation. I don't even blame Pedroia. He didn't cast 34,000 votes for himself (I don't think). It's a bit reassuring that Rangers fans were able to get the vote that close, but still disappointing that they fell short. Ah well. At least we'll have four reps this year instead of the requisite one, right?

No comments: