Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bye Bye Botts

Needless to say, I am devastated by today's announcement that Jason Botts had been DFA'd. I'm not surprised, but I'm still saddened. And a bit angered, too. I just don't get the thought process.

Ben Broussard: .173 in 75 at bats. Eight RBI. Five walks. 31 years old. Can play 1B or DH.
Jason Botts: .158 in 38 at bats. Five RBI. Eight walks. 27 years old. Can play 1B, OF or DH.

The press would have you believe Botts was DFA'd because he failed to capitalize on the opportunities he's been given. Has Broussard fared much better? If you ask me, those lines are fairly similar EXCEPT for the at bat totals, which are nearly double for Broussard. Don't tell me this was about defense either.

My first instinct is to hope Botts can make it through waivers and remain in the system. But my second, stronger instinct, hopes Botts finds a home and better opportunity elsewhere ... and then watch the Ranger front office folks cringe every time they face him or read a box score. Botts' potential is far greater than Broussard, who is supposedly a veteran player.

*shakes head*

I just don't understand it. Not even a little.

And I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to do a post-game post either. Right now, I'd say "no." But we'll see if the Rangers/Royals game can change my sour mood at all.

3 comments:

Minda said...

I immediately thought of you when I heard about this. I'm sorry, Micah. I guess, if he ends up with another team, all you can do is hope he goes somewhere where the front office likes him more so he can get the shot we think he deserves.

EMC said...

Micah -

I'm firm believer in the saying "that whenever God closes a door he opens a window" - the door to the Rangers is closed for Jason - but the window of opporutnity is open - and I have no doubt Jason will prosper... and I can safely say that he feels the same way.

As for the Rangers...meh...maybe Randy Galloway was right - time for a total housecleaning - starting with GM and the manager.

EMC

Jon Page said...

I feel for you, Micah - this stinks for Jason.

As EMC mentions, this is a perfect example of how stupid the Rangers execs have been lately - a half a months worth of AB's is enough to decide Botts can be thrown off the side of the ship, but it's not enough to prove that Ben Broussard (an the man that insisted he come here, Ron Washington) sucks just as bad/worse?

I know why they called up Shelton, they want a guy who can be a third catcher, and play first base (Shelton's a former catcher, and can do that) so they can DH Salty, and have some bench flexibility, too - but Broussard should have been the one hatcheded, not Jason.

Stupid, stupid move by the Rangers - but not really a suprising one, either, given the Rangers past record on decisions like this one.