Sunday, April 13, 2008

Upgraded from ugh to eh

That RISP factor is going to be the demise of this team. How many times are they going to leave men on second and third? The most frustrating example was Marlon Byrd's lead-off triple in the 10th. The Rangers had three outs to use to get Byrd in, but they just couldn't do it.

The Rangers defense calmed down and didn't notch any errors on the afternoon. Pitching looked as sharp as always. Hamilton offered up a sweet shot to right. Frank Catalanotto had two solid hits. Jason Botts actually got in the game -- even if he wasn't able to capitalize. (I think I've given up on him getting many starts, and now just pray for a plate appearance or two. That seems to be the best he's going to get.) German, Benoit, C.J. and Nippert did their part.

It could have been a better game (i.e. a win), but all in all, it was a decent day.

Don't worry ... I'm getting to the pitching. Scott Feldman looked great in his first major league start. I've always been a fan of Feldman's. He had his struggled last season ... and really seemed to have a cloud hanging over him during his entire career. But I like the way he pitches, and I felt like he was given some shotty assignments last year -- taking the mound in the middle of a mess. It's hard to look good in those. But today, he seemed to be in a groove. He lasted six innings and gave up just three earned runs on six hits, two walks and one hit batter. He also had three strikeouts. It wasn't flawless, but he certainly didn't hurt his team. In fact, he gave them every chance. He will not earn a win because German surrendered a run in his inning of work, but I'm sure neither Feldman or anyone else in the organization is overly disappointed by that.

It was good to see Cat get a few hits. I know I've been hard on him (though I've been kinder than others). I honestly think Cat's a good guy, but I'm just not sure a veteran player like him has a place on a team that is supposedly in rebuilding mode. I'd rather see some of the younger players getting the ABs Cat's getting. But, today, he made good of his ABs.

KISS: Feldman. He obviously worked hard in the off-season and spring on his delivery and it's paid off. I look forward to seeing what more he has to offer in the months and years to come.

MISS: Ben Broussard. He was 0 for 3 with two Ks and three men left on. He was 1 for 12 with one walk in the Toronto series. I'm not advocating for benching him permanently, and I know they don't want to platoon him, but what would be so wrong about rotating him out every third game? (I guess I haven't completely given up on Botts as a starter ... I'll campaign until it changes or he leaves. Also, it should be noted that Botts has only had 12 ABs total this season.)


P.S. Does anyone know what all the AB songs for the Rangers players? I'm trying to hear them on TV, but it's difficult with such a small sampling and Josh and Tom talking overtop of them. The only one I can figure out is Laird's, which is "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco. I'm just curious ...

2 comments:

Jon Page said...

You know, that question about the walkup songs might make a good mailbag question for TR Sullivan. I bet he'd probably anwser it too, since he seems to have a big lack of actual valid questions to put in his mailbag each go-round.

As for this game... it was dissapointing. The umps killed us, and so did Ron Washington when he took Benoit out after just one inning and 10 pitches. If CJ Wilson can close both ends of a double-header, I'd think Benoit could have gone two innings. Instead, we got stuck with Nippert in the 10th, and even though he wasn't getting any help from the ump (the second batter he faced he struck out, IMO) he's still a little wild with his pitches.

The real kicker was failing to capatalize on Marlon Byrd's leadoff triple in the 10th though. That might have been one of the most pathetic performances I've ever seen by our offense - tying run at third, nobody out... and we lose the game.

Oh well. Hopefully the Angels can be the tonic we need - we've been playing well against them lately.

EMC said...

Well, one thing: Jason Botts has 5 plate appearances 4 official AB's (one walk) so far this season - and it appears won't get another AB for at least a week.

It's ugly, but I hope it will get better...still think a change of manager would be a big step in the right direction

EMC