Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saturday night disappointment

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but pitching seems to be the best thing the Rangers have going lately. The offense hasn't quite come around (particularly with RISP) and the defense makes me cringe. Of all the categories I'd like my team to be leading the league in, errors is not it. Ron Washington is supposed to be big on defense, but I certainly don't see any Gold Glove-caliber players right now. I'd almost say they're worse now than they were before Wash came.

Ugh. That's the word of the weekend, it seems. I just don't know what else to say.

KISS: Marlon Byrd. He had two of the Rangers six hits tonight and drove in their only run. Roy Halladay was lights out, but Byrd managed to connect. Let's hope he can keep on and that the others catch up with him.

MISS: Frank Catalanotto. 0 for 4 as the DH. His job tonight was to hit and he couldn't do it.

P.S. David Murphy was safe.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

I liked the way David Murphy handled himself in that call at first - he took the base, and stood there, and let Ron Washington do the talking. Hopefully Milton Bradley was in the dugout taking notes on that.

I don't know what's up with the infield defense lately, though - as you say, Ron's "great coaching ability" doesn't seem to have had much affect. But then again, when your shortstop moves around like a hippo stuck in a mudhole, there's not much you can do about that.

Tonight, Blalock's error killed us, and we just couldn't hit Roy Halladay (a problem a lot of teams seem to have, from what I've heard). Not much else you can say, except Hank better make that play next time.

P.S. - Frank Catalanotto needs to go. He really does. He obviously can't play defense, and his offense just isn't as advertised. It's clear he's on the downside of his career - I don't know if there's any way we can option him to the minors, trade him, or what, but JD really needs to find a way to can him. Not that he's a bad guy, but he just has absolutely no place on this club.