Wednesday, April 2, 2008

So many chances, so few taken

The Rangers had the bases loaded TWICE with one out and failed to bring any runs in during those opportunities. On top of that, they committed a number of errors, which cost them pitches and runs. Ick. It was just ugly baseball.

But then ... in the top of the 9th, something beautiful happened. Josh Hamilton stroked one into the seats. Gorgeous, just gorgeous.

Then C.J. Wilson came in and got his first save of the season. First of many, as I've predicted.

KISS: Obviously, Hamilton. Not only did he have a homer, he made some spectacular catches. I am completely enamored with the way he plays. I hope it's not just the honeymoon phase. He seems like the real deal.

MISS: Hmm ... I guess Ian Kinsler, who made two fielding errors tonight. I hope the off-day on Thursday allows him (and Hank and Mike) the rest they need to beat this flu. I can't imagine it's easy to focus out there when you don't feel well.

If it wasn't so late, I would write more. But I have to be up for work in about six hours. And after work, I'm boarding a plane for Texas. A friend of mine is getting married in Ft. Worth this weekend, so I'm headed down there to help her celebrate. Don't worry, I plan to sneak in trip to the ballpark as well, and I'm having dinner with the Snake Pit. It's going to be so nice to talk Rangers with someone who actually shares my affinity for them (and a certain pitcher). That said, I will likely miss the last game of the Seattle series and all of the Anaheim games. Boo. But I'm not sure I have a choice, so this will probably be my last game post until next Tuesday.

GO RANGERS!!!

3 comments:

Jon Page said...

I would have given Mike Young the "miss" of the game, myself - MY grounded into a critical double play with the bases loaded, and also looked pretty bad out at shortstop for the second consecutive game. At least Kinsler had that base hit in the 9th that setup Josh Hamilton's homer.

Josh is amazing, though. After that, there's no doubt about it: he's my favorite player. Hands down.

Jon Page said...

Whoops, for got something: I moved my blog over to wordpress on the advice of a friend. It looks kinda complicated, so we'll see how long this lasts before I decide to give up and move to blogger, but here's the new link:

http://lonestarincalifornia.wordpress.com/

EMC said...

Have a great weekend! You may have to run between a few raindrops to start out (we're expecting storms here on Thursday and early Friday) but the rest of the weekend looks pretty nice.

Think I'll be heading to OKC to check out the Redhawks on Sunday and will have some pictures to post next week.

As for last night's game: Josh Hamilton = Roy Hobbs.

And I'm still worried about the IF defense.

http://emcmlb.blogspot.com/