Sunday, April 20, 2008

A weekend of Ws

The RedHawks ended my weekend on a good note with 7-4 victory over the Iowa Cubs. Kevin Mench was virtually unstoppable at the plate, and Paul Kometani and Frankie Francisco destroyed any hope the I-Cubs had of a rally in the late innings.

Brandon Boggs and Ryan Roberts both had a frustrating day at the plate. Both made decent contact with the ball, but they just couldn't find a gap. Boggs grounded out twice, popped out once and struck out once. Roberts grounded out twice, popped out once and hit a sac fly.

Ellison had a rough day in left field too. He fell trying to make one catch and mis-read another. The only RedHawks error, however, was charged to Ryan Roberts, who overthrew Nate Gold at first.

KISS: Mench. He was 3 for 5 with a double and two RBI. He didn't strikeout once, and always seemed to be in the middle of a two-out rally.

MISS: Boggs, who was 0 for 5 with two strikeouts.

I watched today's game from the photo wells next to the dugouts. I spent the first three innings next to the I-Cubs dugout and the remaining innings next to the RedHawks dugout. This is the third time I've done this, but today was unlike the other two. In so many ways. You hear and see a lot of things in those dugouts -- some funny, some heartbreaking, some that make you cringe.

I had an interesting chat with Sir Sidney Ponson, but I think I'll keep that one to myself. Or at least not post it on here. If you're really curious, you can drop me an e-mail at laney895@hotmail.com. It's nothing huge, it's just amusing. Ha ha.

I'm sad I won't be able to go to the remaining two RedHawks games (stupid work!!). But..the team will be back at the end of May for four games, and I will be attending AT LEAST three, so there's some consolation there.

Also, my photos from today are up -- here. I wish I could have gotten more photos, but I need to learn how to adjust the f-stop.

3 comments:

Jon Page said...

Great photos, Micah - you really got some nice shots of both Doug Mathis, and Salty. Is it just me, or does Frank Francisco looks a little bulkier than I remember him last season?

I dropped you an e-mail regarding the Sidney Ponson thing, so here's a forewarning to keep an eye out for that in your inbox - I have to admit, you piqued my interest when you said you wouldn't post it on your blog here!

Micah said...

Jon - I agree that Frankie looks a bit bulkier this season. So does Robinson Tejeda. A.J. Murray and Nate Gold, on the other hand, look like they've slimmed down. Not that I thought either needed to.

EMC said...

Great pictures - I envy you - with the change in OKC's home schedule you will probably see more Redhawks games in Iowa than I will!

--EMC