Saturday, April 26, 2008

You're killin' me, Smalls!

Three errors and poor pitching sank the Rangers' hopes of a two-game winning streak as they fell to the Twins 12-6 tonight.

The game started out decent, and my new pal, Sir Sidney Ponson actually finished with a decent line. 5.1 innings, seven hits, four Ks, one earned run. Unfortunately, one of the Rangers' errors was his (I think it's fishy that a pitcher's error doesn't cost him an earned run), and it turned into a three-run inning for the Twins as they tied the game.

From there on out, it seemed like the Rangers just couldn't string some hits together (as has been the case the whole season), and the Twins just kept scoring -- three more in the seventh and four in the eighth. It was more than enough to put the hometown boys away.

KISS: Josh Hamilton, who was 3 for 4 with two RBI. Murphy may have had one more RBI, but Josh won out because he didn't strikeout. He continues to be a consistent contributor to the offense.

MISS: This dishonor is shared by Wright, German, Guardado and Feldman. The relievers just couldn't stop the bleeding. Wright was actually credited with a blown save. I do not agree, however, with the Rangers using Feldman as a reliever when he has been working as a starter. Flipping his roles back and forth is not going to help his development.

Random notes ...

- There's a web site out there that is supposedly for discussing which players are married, dating, etc. I read it for pure entertainment value -- I honestly have no intentions of dating a baseball player. If it happened, I'd be fine with it, I guess, but I'm not actively seeking it. Anyhow, the web site has plenty of entertaining posts on it, and it's interesting to read the number of players who are accused of cheating on their spouses (I'm sure it does happen sometimes...) and those who are ...ahem... not well-equipped. I was NOT entertained by a post about the Rangers' 2B. I won't repeat what it said, but it was not flattering and more than likely not true. I also felt it was slanderous. I voiced my concerns to the site moderator, and -- I kid you not -- the post was taken down within five minutes. Now that's service. No one messes with my boys. Not even on the 'net.

- I ordered Ben Broussard's CD the other day. I'm actually looking forward to getting it. I think his music is right up my alley, so I'll be sure to post a review after I've given it a sufficient listen.

3 comments:

Jon Page said...

Boy, this loss stings. After we got the lead early, I let myself get all emotionally invested again, and the whole tower of dominoes came crashed down in grand fashion, right on top of my hopes that maybe this team had started to turn things around.

Ron Washington made a mistake pulling Ponson when he did, IMO. Sir Sidney was pitching well, and Wash just wound up using up his bullpen, which still lost him the game anyway. Stupid.

I don't see how much longer the Rangers can let him continue as manager. This business of him screwing things up once per game is getting old.

Sigh.

I sure hope Padilla has forgotten about the other day in Detroit.

EMC said...

I listened to a few innings of the game on my drive back from Frisco. I can't blame Ron Washingto for pulling Sidney Ponson - he was around 90 pitches on relatively cool night - and Ponson has never been a durable pitcher - keeping him could have led to other problems with his arm down the road - and Lord knows we don't need any more injured starters.

Maybe with Hank injured it's time to see if Michael Young can play 3rd base - it's obvious that he is really struggling with his defense at SS - and that in turn is big, big problem for a pitching staff that induces ground balls.

I don't know what the answer is for this team - other than to get their head in the game on defense - play fundamental baseball and don't try to make spectacular or tricky plays.

Good thing I went to Frisco last night - but the rain and cold will keep me from OKC today (sigh).

That website you mentioned bothers me - baseball players, like everyone else are entitled to privacy - especially when it involves their families and personal lives most of which has absolutely nothing to do with what goes on between the lines on the field. Look at this way: would you want someone posting information about your life online - things like your bank statements, and personal e-mails, and you performance review at work? That's your personal buisiness - the same with players. If folks, like us, want to blog about their performance on the field - that's part of the package when you decide to become a major league baseball player - but having your personal life dragged into it on the web is not - just my opinion.

EMC

Micah said...

Jon - I get emotionally invested in every game. It sucks when games like last night happen, but I can't help it and probably wouldn't change it anyhow.

EMC - I agree with you on the personal side of their lives. A lot of people think that as athletes/celebrities, their lives are for public scrutiny. Personally, I wish that web site didn't exist, but since I can't take it down, I've taken to policing it to make sure my boys are protected in some way. One of the wives has been doing the same, and she and I have been corresponding.