Friday, April 11, 2008

Ugh ...

That is the only word I can think of to describe this game. Well ... the only one that's appropriate for a mixed audience.

Three errors is three too many. One is too many. Especially those stupid errors. Gerald's arm tonight was just not on target. Not until the 9th ... and by then it was too late. And then there was Frank's ugly left field play. Kaz Fukumori's pitching. Greg Zaun steals home?!? Are you kidding me? Aaaaahhh. I just wanted to throw up.

Then Josh Hamilton hit that monster homer, and I smiled for a little while. Dustin Nippert was a pleasant surprise too. He looked TONS better tonight than in his last outing.

But two bright spots is not enough to smooth over all the bad in this game. It was just ugly.

Are we sure it was the Blue Jays who were sleep-deprived?

Blah. I don't even want to give a KISS and MISS tonight, but I'll try anyway.

KISS: Obviously, who else could it be ... Josh Hamilton. 2-4 with one homer and four RBI.

MISS: That Zaun stealing home play was just hideous. I guess I'll blame Laird for that one. His throw to second sucked and then Zaun practically danced past him to score a run.

Here are a few random thoughts too:

- I am so happy to see Buck Coats in that Blue Jays uniform. I watched him in Des Moines with the I-Cubs for too many seasons. Buck is an all-around great guy, and even if he's not a Ranger, I want to see him do well.

- Speaking of good guys ... who can dislike David Eckstein? Even when he's playing for the other team (which he always has in my case), he's a lot of fun to watch. I just like the way he plays.

- Am I the only one anxious to see Scott "I even punch sidearm" Feldman start on Sunday? Woot!

- Who should have been covering first on that Vernon Wells hit in the 7th? Should Broussard have let Fukumori get the ball (even though Ben had the better angle to get the runner at home if it'd been a little faster)? Should Kinsler have come over to cover?

- How long until there are David Murphy player tees available for sale? I want one.

Anyway ... here's hoping Luis Mendoza can help turn it around tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

Yeah, after getting two wins yesterday, and breifly sticking our necks above .500, it sure didn't take the Rangers long to come hurtling back to earth. Just a horrible game, the only highlights being Josh Hamilton's homer, and Dustin Nipperts relief work.

I'm really starting to wonder about Kaz Fukumori... I think it may be time already for him to head to OKC for a tuneup. All I know is the bullpen does not look all that great with the abscence of Wes Littleton and Frank Francisco right now - I'd like to see both Kaz and Franklyn German swapped out for Wes and Frankie, to tell you the truth.

As for this notion that Scott Feldman will start Sunday... all I can think is "Why?" Why not AJ Murray, Josh Rupe, or Kam Loe? I don't know what the Rangers see in Feldman, since he was never that great a reliever - and as a starter, he'll never be more than a #6 or 7. I just don't see the rush to get him back to the big leagues so soon.

I guess I can take comfort in the fact that it's only for one game... but that is probably going to be one game too many. Here's hoping Feldman makes me eat those words.