Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ugly baserunning, uglier hecklers

51 degrees does NOT feel like baseball weather, but it is what I endured to take in my first live baseball game of the season. And it was worth it.

The Oklahoma RedHawks looked pretty bad on the basepaths in the first inning, but made up for it with some timely hitting and capitalizing on I-Cubs errors later in the game. Nate Gold kicked off the RedHawks rally in the second inning with a solo home run into the right field porch. It was Gold's lone hit of the night, but it was enough to get the Oklahoma bats going.

The Iowa Cubs committed three errors, which only cost them one run, but it was enough. On top of that, they managed two runs in the first, but didn't strike again until the final two innings of the game.

I was pretty impressed with Casey Benjamin's defense. The shortstop made a fantastic leap in the 1st to rob Tony Richie of a hit. The I-Cubs would have easily tacked on two runs if Benjamin hadn't snagged that ball.

KISS: Chris Shelton, who was 2 for 4 with three RBI. He also drew a walk. As designated hitter, I felt like he did his job very well.

MISS: Jason Ellison attempting to steal home in the first inning with one out, Nelson Cruz at first and Nate Gold at the plate. (Cruz was subsequently picked off attempting to steal 2nd.)

The hecklers in right field were more unbearable than the cold. They might have been amusing if they'd been original, but the only things they were calling out were profanity. And, honestly, if you're going to be a good heckler, buy a program and learn something about your targeted player. Don't just yell out his number and tell him he sucks or that he's a douchebag. The hecklers' favorite targets tonight were Nelson Cruz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia, although they got on Kameron Loe and Kea Kometani a bit as well. Cruz and Salty handled it very very well. At one point, they threw a beer bottle in the direction of Nelson Cruz. He just picked it up and moved it off the field. Later, he tossed them a ball, which they immediately threw back at him. Stupid hecklers. Hey, Nelson, how about throwing a ball to someone who's actually there to cheer for you (ahem, me).

I didn't get too many pictures tonight because it was overcast and got dark pretty early. But, if you want to take a gander, click here.

2 comments:

Craig Stambaugh said...

I'm sorry the hecklers were such a bore in Des Moines last night. We had some here in Corpus as well, but they were accually amusing and funny. They were all over Chris Davis at first. After the game they came down and got Chris's autograph. He was real nice to them and the hecklers were thankful the signatures. I sure didn't like to line on Kameron, but hey he'll be back up. I had a good conversation with Jamey Newberg last Monday about Kameron. He, like myself, think Kam will be up with the big club soon. Good luck on your game today. I'll keep you posted on how our Rough Riders do.

Jon Page said...

Nice pics (even if there where only a few), glad you enjyed the game. That debacle in the first inning with the "Hawks basrunning was almost comical, from what I heard.

I sure hope Salty gets called up soon, as I'm not sure how much more Gerald Laird I can take - his average is down to .207 after today's game in Boston.