Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Same score, different day

The Rangers lost 7-4 again today. I was at work, so I didn't get to see the game. And I was swamped, so I couldn't check the box score. I'm actually still working, so I've decided not to watch it. I'm just ready to turn the page on this series and move on. That's the great thing about baseball -- you don't have very long to dwell on a loss. Tomorrow is another day and another game. And, in the Rangers' case, it's another city as well. I have faith that this team will get on track soon. There's too much talent in their midst not to.

By the way, I have to note my HUGE error, which EMC was kind enough to point out in a very diplomatic way. Jason Botts has NOT had 12 ABs this season. I'm not really sure where I got that number. I must have dreamed it. Ha ha. He has had six plate appearances, one of which was a walk. I agree he needs to capitalize on every chance he gets, but coming off the bench cold, twice, in high pressure situations ... not exactly the best recipe for building his confidence. I only hope his confidence isn't being broken. He needs a string of consistent at bats, whether that's every three days or every five days. And they can't be pinch hit situations. He needs three or four ABs at a time. He'll never get used to big league pitching if he doesn't get to see it on a consistent basis.

Then again, I'm just a fan. What do I know?

I guess, if I relate it to my field, this would be the equivalent of someone judging me based on the first six articles I wrote in my professional career. I don't remember what they were (it was almost six years ago!), but I can guarantee they were nothing great. Fortunately, my editor saw my potential and continued to guide me. I'm not saying I'm an all-star writer now, but I can hold my own.

I'm glad no one gave up on me and that I didn't have to read blogs/articles/etc. everyday about how much I suck. I might have given up. Then again, I think that's what a lot of Rangers fans seem to want Jason to do. He must be a heck of a lot stronger in mind (I know he's stronger in body) than I am.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

I missed the game myself today due to work... and I'm glad I did.

They'll snap out of this slump sooner or later, but right now, it's just tough to watch/read about it. But for me, sticking it out through the losing streaks just makes the wins all that much sweeter. Although, these losses would be a lot easier to take if people like Botts and Salty where at least getting to play and grow on the major league level.