Thursday, April 24, 2008

Unlucky seven

I was at work so I couldn't watch today's game, so I kept up via box score. That was painful enough.

Ever the optimist, I still believe the boys will turn this all around. I had hoped it'd be today.

They hung in there for the first several innings, and Jason Jennings actually appeared to be throwing a good game. At first. Five runs in five innings, all of which crossed on a long ball. The home runs are killing this pitching staff. Fukumori didn't fare much better. Three runs in 2.1 innings. Franklyn German was the only pitcher who didn't allow a run, but he only pitched one-third of an inning.

Michael Young and Jason Botts were the only Rangers starters who reached base three times AND did not strike out. Hank Blalock reached twice. Several others reached once. The only Ranger who didn't get to hang out on the bases at some point was Adam Melhuse. He struck out three times and left five men on.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it. The players on this team are too talented for this kind of play. Have they decided to fold for the season already? Have they lost motivation? Or are they being mis-managed?

Twins come in for three tomorrow, and I hope the Rangers can find a way to win. Not only for the record sake, but also because I know Friday is Craig's (of Snake Pit fame) birthday. For his loyalty, he deserves to watch a win.

1 comment:

Jon Page said...

Well, some great news despite the loss... Salty might be on his way up.

Adam Melhuse has a bruised hand (at the very least) after getting hit by a pitch in the dirt, and it could open the door for Salty.

Needless to say, I'm ecstatic, despite the fact that Melhuse might be hurt. Too bad for him, but... he was kind of useless anyway. More thoughts over on my blog.