Friday, April 18, 2008

"I think I'll go to Boston..." or maybe not

I think I'll go to Boston,
I think that I'm just tired
I think I need a new town,
to leave this all behind...
- "Boston" by Augustana

The only thing the Rangers left behind between Toronto and Boston was pitching.

Luis Mendoza looked fabulous through his first two innings. Clearly, I got excited a little too early. I'm not sure what happened to him, but once he gave up that double, he seemed to have lost the strike zone completely. This lead to a five-run inning for the Red Sox, and I had a feeling that would be enough to secure Boston's win.

I was right.

Josh Rupe and Dustin Nippert did they best they could and at least slowed the bleeding. Rupe gave up two earned runs on four hits and one walk. Nippert surrendered two runs (one earned) on two hits and one walk.

KISS: Hank Blalock. So much for that sore back. He sure didn't look sore tonight. Two for four with a homer and two RBI. He also made a couple of nice snags and throws at third.

MISS: Mendoza. If he had just calmed down after that double and gotten one of the next two batters out (instead of walking them to load the bases up for Big Papi), the game would have been completely different.

The next few entries will be RedHawks centered as I will be taking in two RedHawks/Iowa Cubs games this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing Kam, Salty, A.J., Nate, etc. It'll be my first live baseball game of the season which means the fever is about to really be unleashed. :)

No comments: