Sunday, April 27, 2008

"Triple Play" tradition continues

Maybe we should have the "Triple Play" event every month. Apparently, the Rangers are undefeated on "Triple Play" Sunday.

I had to work this afternoon, but I was notified when Jason Botts hit a homerun to give the Rangers a 7-0 lead. My first thought, "I hope they can hold onto that lead." And I immediately felt bad for thinking that. I've become a bit jaded about this team, and I would like to return to optimism. Regardless, my love and loyalty to them is unwavering. I'm hanging in there...just as I hope they are.

Speaking of Botts, it pains me to see the struggles he's having and then read how many fans are ready to give him his walking papers. I, of course, will never be ready for that. I agree he struggles with major league pitching, but that might be because he hasn't yet had a stretch to try and adjust to big league pitching. He's getting there now...and if his playing time continues and he hasn't improved by the ASB, maybe my mind will change. But I think he deserves more time. Admittedly, I'm biased. (I still miss Laynce Nix, if that tells you anything.)

I had a special dose of glee when Josh Hamilton became the first run allowed by Joe Nathan all season. I believe Nathan is one of the great closers in the AL...maybe even in both leagues. Because he plays for the Twins (and not some team in the East), however, he goes largely uncelebrated. Except by Twins fans. They love this guy. Absolutely love him. So, I take great pleasure when one of my guys can beat a great pitcher. And I'm especially glad it was Josh, who as T.R. Sullivan noted, is leading the AL in RBI.

Ian Kinsler has also reached a milestone -- by reaching base in 25 straight games. Kinsler hasn't delivered a bunch of big hits this year, but if there's one thing you want from a leadoff hitter, it's the ability to get on base. And Ian has it. He really excels in that first spot in the order.

KISS: Vicente Padilla rebounded from a TOUGH game in Detroit and pitched a complete game shutout. This is the first Rangers complete game since 2005. Good to see the Padilla back in 2008 form. He has certainly worked his way back into my good graces. I will gladly eat crow after my winter pleadings to release him.

MISS: Sadly, it's Botts. Even though he had a homer, he also struck out three times. Some quality time with Rudy may be in order.

The win, if nothing else, should put the guys in a good mood as they head to "Triple Play," which is a fantastic fund-raiser. Someday (maybe next year, if life deals me favorable cards), I hope to attend it. In the meantime, I live vicariously through friends who are going and will be subscribing to the Fox Sports package for one month JUST to watch the re-cap on FSNSW.

2 comments:

Jon Page said...

I doubt there's a Ranger fan on the planet by now that hasn't become jaded regarding this teams play lately.

And the hits just keep on coming - it was announced that Hank Blalock is now out for 3-4 weeks today - that hurts bigtime. Sigh.

Craig Stambaugh said...

Whew, what a week?! Check out the picture from Triple Play on my lovely brides' myspace. Little Aubrey is the toast of the bullpen. I think she is their new mascot.